- A CNN report on Monday painted a scathing portrait of President Donald Trump’s conduct on the world stage, significantly because it pertains to his conversations with international leaders.
- A number of sources described the US president as somebody who bullies and belittles allies whereas fawning over autocratic leaders.
- Sources informed CNN Trump behaves in a “near-sadistic” vogue with feminine leaders; that he talks to Russian President Vladimir Putin as in the event that they’re “two guys in a steam bathtub”; and that Turkey’s president “took him to the cleaners.”
- Trump’s conduct was so uncommon and erratic that it satisfied a number of senior administration officers that the president was “delusional,” in line with the report.
- In some circumstances, the report mentioned, Trump’s actions led White Home officers to conclude that the president himself posed a nationwide safety risk.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Turns-of-phrase like “baked within the cake” and “surprising, however unsurprising” have develop into cliché within the Trump period, however a Monday CNN report introduced a complete overview of President Donald Trump’s conduct on the world stage, significantly because it pertains to his conversations with international leaders.
CNN’s Carl Bernstein spoke to a number of sources over a four-month interval, all of whom had been anonymously cited within the story however who largely confirmed particulars which were beforehand reported by different retailers and testified to in public hearings.
Total, these sources painted a scathing portrait of a US president who bullies and belittles allies whereas fawning over autocratic leaders. The White Home didn’t reply to a request for remark from CNN.
- One individual conversant in Trump’s conversations with leaders from Russia, Turkey, Canada, Australia, and western Europe described the calls to CNN as “abominations.”
- A supply informed the outlet that Trump subjected French President Emmanuel Macron to lectures and verbal “whippings” on points like commerce, immigration, and NATO.
- Trump behaved in a “near-sadistic” method towards German Chancellor Angela Merkel and former British Prime Minister Theresa Could, in line with one supply. A number of different sources confirmed the element to CNN as properly.
- A number of the harshest depictions of Trump’s lack of preparedness on vital points stem from his conversations with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- Throughout their cellphone calls, in line with CNN and former media stories, Trump typically boasts about himself and builds up his enterprise acumen, whereas repeatedly praising the Russian chief and searching for his approval.
- The US president “offers away the benefit that was onerous gained within the Chilly Struggle” and has “given Russia a lifeline,” a high-level administration official informed CNN.
- One other administration official informed CNN that Putin “simply outplays” Trump. One other supply mentioned that typically their conversations resemble that of “two guys in a steam bathtub.”
- One supply informed CNN that Trump “gave away the shop” when he determined to drag US troops from Syria, handing a large victory to each Turkey and Russia.
- Extra broadly, Trump has little data of points associated to Syria and the Center East and was unprepared to debate vital coverage points with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- “Erdogan took him to the cleaners,” one supply informed CNN.
Taken collectively, Trump’s actions satisfied senior administration officers — like former nationwide safety advisers John Bolton and H.R. McMaster, former Protection Secretary James Mattis, former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, former chief of workers John Kelly, and a number of intelligence officers — that Trump was “delusional,” in line with CNN.
Certainly, Trump’s controversial strategy to dealing with cellphone calls on problems with nationwide safety with international leaders has been properly documented in each media stories and congressional testimony. Total, as CNN reported, Trump’s conduct led many officers to imagine that the president himself posed a nationwide safety risk to the US.
- Essentially the most high-profile instance is a July 25, 2019 cellphone name Trump had with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, throughout which the US president requested his Ukrainian counterpart to launch bogus investigations focusing on his political rival, former Vice President Joe Biden, forward of the 2020 election. That cellphone name and subsequent makes an attempt to cowl up its contents led to Trump’s impeachment, throughout which Democratic lawmakers accused the president of compromising nationwide safety for his private political pursuits.
- Trump “instinctively” decided to pull US troops from northern Syria — a monumental transfer that had far-reaching penalties within the area — after a cellphone name with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- In a March 2018 cellphone name with Russian President Vladimir Putin, Trump congratulated the Russian leader on his victory in a rigged election even after US nationwide safety officers warned him, “DO NOT CONGRATULATE” in briefing supplies earlier than the decision.
- Trump’s cellphone calls with international leaders had been so regarding that the White Home tried to conceal transcripts of the conversations, particularly these with Mohammed bin Salman and Putin, as beforehand reported.
- White Home staffers had been “genuinely horrified” by Trump’s cellphone calls with Putin and Syria’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
- The president at one level weighed barring all officials from listening to his calls with international leaders, which intelligence veterans mentioned would have been catastrophic for US nationwide safety.
- White Home staffers reportedly must “babysit” throughout the president’s cellphone calls with international leaders as a result of he’s typically unprepared and goes off-script.
- John Kelly, Trump’s former chief of workers, used to mute the line throughout Trump’s calls with international leaders to induce the president to not focus on delicate subjects.